Email List

If you'd like to know about the latest promos, offers and publications, get on the email list by using the Contact Form on the sidebar. Thank you!

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The difference between Self-Publishing and 'Real' Publishing

To continue the topic that everyone's Kindle book is FREE (http://danijcaile.blogspot.hu/2012/12/everyones-kindle-for-free.html), I was thinking about the differences between Self-Published books (A) and 'Real' published books by Publishing Houses (B).
I have read 1000s of books so far in my life, of all types and standards, and in the last year mostly self-published books. In terms of writing skill, there really isn't much between A and B, except that the standard is a little higher in B...but that's not to say there aren't some real humdingers in A! AND there are plenty of bad books in B, books which are so bad I couldn't get past the first page. NO, I'm not fussy, I just don't see why I have to read regurgitated crap.
Other than writing skill, B has the advantage of marketing, distribution, advertising, money and backing (people who will push the book). Sure, group A has friends and family, but this is not the same kind of backing, they're not 'in the business'.
So, unfortunately, IMHO self-publishers have a real hard time...and don't I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment